[R-meta] Why does rma.mv does not show the same results as robumeta?

James Pustejovsky jepu@to @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon May 24 04:44:20 CEST 2021

Hi Cátia,

Here are links to some previous listservs discussions on this topic:
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-meta-analysis/2017-September/000223.html
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-meta-analysis/2017-August/000130.html

From the small snippet of the data you sent, it looks like the predictor
variable you're interested in might vary at the within-study level (i.e.,
some studies have effect sizes for multiple groups, such as DLD and TD).
Is that correct? Is there a lot of variation within studies? If so, this
sort of data structure is one where the methods implemented in robumeta
tend to have lower power than what you get with rma.mv() + clubSandwich (as
discussed in the paper that Wolfgang linked). That might therefore be
reason to prefer the metafor model.

One other thing to note. It looks like in your rma.mv() syntax, you are
treating every effect size estimate as independent, rather than allowing
for some correlation between effect size estimates from the same sample. If
you have multiple estimates based on the same sample, it would probably be
better to treat them as having correlated sampling errors, using the
methods described in the paper Wolfgang linked to, as well as in this blog
post:
https://www.jepusto.com/imputing-covariance-matrices-for-multi-variate-meta-analysis/

Kind Regards,
James