[R-meta] Multivariate meta-analysis with unknown covariances?

James Pustejovsky jepusto at gmail.com
Thu Aug 17 17:26:16 CEST 2017

This approach is similar to the robumeta implementation of RVE, but there
are some differences:

   - robumeta uses a specific random effects structure that can’t be
   controlled by the user, whereas metafor can be used to estimate a variety
   of different random effects structures.
   - robumeta uses a moment estimator for the between-study variance,
   whereas metafor provides FML or REML estimation.
   - robumeta uses semi-efficient, diagonal weights when fitting the
   meta-regression, whereas metafor uses weights that are fully efficient
   (exactly inverse-variance) under the working model.

Regarding the last point about using diagonal weighting, the issues are a
bit subtle and there's no guidance in the literature about when to use
which approach. My current understanding (which I'm still working on
developing formally, so please take this with a grain of salt) is that the
robumeta weighting approach is reasonable for meta-regression models in
which the predictor variables are all at the study-level (i.e., no
within-study variation in a given predictor). However, if you are
interested in using predictors that vary within study (such as contrasting
effects between different categories of outcomes), then the metafor
approach should be considered---and particularly if there is wide variation
in the number of effects per study (with some studies contributing just 1-2
effects while others contribute many more).

James