[R-meta] Three-level meta-analysis using netmeta

Wed Mar 17 13:39:22 CET 2021

Dear Natan,

Gerta, Guido, and colleagues (i.e., the netmeta authors) should really be the ones to address your question about netmeta. But I am once again procrastinating with my own work by answering questions on this mailing list and once I get going, I am hard to stop, so let me say just a few words about this.

netmeta is indeed a very nice choice for a network meta-analysis as it simplifies some of the intricacies involved, compared to the more manual process required when fitting such models with metafor. However, you can run network meta-analyses also with metafor, if you know how to set things up (and are willing to do a bit of 'post-processing' of the results). So that is the disadvantage of using metafor for these purposes. The advantage is that it will allow you to expand on the underlying models in essentially arbitrary ways, including the addition of additional levels and/or random effects to capture further dependencies. Also, one can run meta-regression analyses in this context, which I believe is not (yet) possible with netmeta (although this is something that may be in the works?).

If the more complex data structure in the present context require the specification of corresponding models, then I do not see why using metafor is actually a problem; quite the opposite.