[R-meta] Question regarding three-level metaanalysis of proportions

simeo@@zuercher m@iii@g oii upd@u@ibe@ch simeo@@zuercher m@iii@g oii upd@u@ibe@ch
Wed Jun 23 12:51:30 CEST 2021

Dear Wolfgang,

Tank you very much for the fast answer.

I have a studyID which is the same Doi for a single study and unique numbers for effectIDs. The data is structured as follows (example data):

StudyID             EffectID

DoiNR_study1    1

DoiNR_study1    2

DoiNR_study3    3

DoiNR_study4    4

DoiNR_study4    5

DoiNR_study4    6

Estimating the proportions for each timepoint using the arcsine transformation (instead double arcsine) yields the same results. Time 1 = 0.22, Time 2 =  0.17, Time 3 =0.19

I used now used the arcsine transformation to calculate the model

ies <- escalc(xi=postitive_cases, ni= sample_size, data = ies, measure = "PAS")

estimates <- rma.mv(yi, vi, mods = ~ timepoint, random = list(~ 1 | effect_id, ~ 1 |doi), tdist = TRUE,

                   data = ies, method = "REML")

Output:

Multivariate Meta-Analysis Model (k = 99; method: REML)

Variance Components:

            estim    sqrt  nlvls  fixed     factor

sigma^2.1  0.0069  0.0833     99     no  effect_id

sigma^2.2  0.0216  0.1469     47     no        doi

Test for Residual Heterogeneity:

QE(df = 96) = 1310.2448, p-val < .0001

Test of Moderators (coefficients 2:3):

F(df1 = 2, df2 = 96) = 3.8752, p-val = 0.0241

Model Results:

                                                       estimate      se     tval    pval    ci.lb    ci.ub

intrcpt(timepoint 1)                          0.5027  0.0272  18.4506  <.0001   0.4486   0.5568  ***

timepoint 2                                      -0.0443  0.0459  -0.9632  0.3379  -0.1355   0.0469

timepoint 3)                                     -0.1458  0.0538  -2.7092  0.0080  -0.2526  -0.0390   **

backtransformation of estimates yield

sin(0.5027)^2 = 0.23,

sin(-0.0443)^2 = 0.0020,

sin(-0.1458)^2 = 0.021

I think this is much more plausible. F.i. the difference between timepoint 1 and 3 is now  -0.02 (or two percentage points).

What do you think. Does it look plausible to you?

again, many thanks,

Simeon