[R-meta] Question regarding three-level metaanalysis of proportions

Wed Jun 23 10:57:48 CEST 2021

Dear Simeon,

I generally would avoid meta-analyzing proportions directly. Instead of the double arcsine transformation (which indeed leads to issues with the back-transformation), you could use the logit transformation or the arcsine square root transformation, both of which are easy to back-transform.

This aside, for a more direct comparison of the two modeling approaches, I would suggest to use the same transformation. Also, can you show how 'effect_id' is coded? In other words, is it a unique value for every row of the dataset? It might also help if you would post the actual output from the model.