[R-meta] Question regarding three-level metaanalysis of proportions

simeo@@zuercher m@iii@g oii upd@u@ibe@ch simeo@@zuercher m@iii@g oii upd@u@ibe@ch
Wed Jun 23 10:32:14 CEST 2021

Dear all,

Only recently, I had a question regarding three-level meta-analysis of proportions where we look at neurological complications after some infectious diseases which was kindly answered (Thank you again). We effect sizes are dependent since some studies report several effect sizes. It’s a large dataset with over 150 effect sizes (effect_id) that are nested within 60 studies (doi).

Based on the advice we did not transform proportions with double arcsine for the meta-regression since a back-transformation after model estimation is not straight forward. However, we have now the following issue: I have performed a meta-regression on timepoint as moderator (timepoint = factor variable including three timepoints 1,2 and 3).

The meta-analysis (with double arcsine transformation) gave the following proportion for each timepoint separately: Time 1 = 0.22, Time 2 =  0.17, Time 3 =  0.19

However, if I run a meta-regression on proportions to see whether the timepoints differ I get very strange results.

result_0 <- rma.mv(yi, vi, random = list(~ 1 | effect_id, ~ 1 | doi),

                  mods = ~ timepoint, tdist = TRUE, data = data, method = "REML")

Intercept (timepoint 1): 0.24 (seems plausible)

Time 2: -0.032 (seems also plausible),

Time 3: -0.15 (is not plausible)

The estimate for Time 3 vs. Time 1 is very strange. Even if I remove the outliers, I got such an extreme result. Is there something wrong in this code? Maybe the definition of the random effects?

Many thanks for your further help!

Kind regars,

Simeon