[R-meta] Question regarding three-level metaanalysis of proportions

Wed Jun 23 13:33:11 CEST 2021

Thanks. Ok, the coding looks fine. I was worried that effect_id was coded like this:

StudyID         EffectID
DoiNR_study1    1
DoiNR_study1    2
DoiNR_study3    1
DoiNR_study4    1
DoiNR_study4    2
DoiNR_study4    3

in which case random = list(~ 1 | effect_id, ~ 1 | doi) would not be appropriate and instead random = ~ 1 | doi/effect_id would have to be used. But that's not the issue here.

Based on the results you posted, the estimated (back-transformed) proportions are:

> transf.iarcsin(.5027)
[1] 0.2321247
> transf.iarcsin(.5027-.0443)
[1] 0.1958185
> transf.iarcsin(.5027-.1458)
[1] 0.1220603

or what you should do is use:

predict(ies, newmods=c(0,0), transf=transf.iarcsin, digits=2)
predict(ies, newmods=c(1,0), transf=transf.iarcsin, digits=2)
predict(ies, newmods=c(0,1), transf=transf.iarcsin, digits=2)

to get these values plus CIs/PIs.

So the estimates for timepoints 1 and 2 are very similar, but the .12 does differ a bit more from the .19 you find when just running a random-effects model at each timepoint. There are several possible reasons for this:

1) In the multilevel model, the true outcomes (i.e., the arcsine-transformed values of the true proportions) are allowed to be correlated. As a result, results for timepoints 1 and 2 can also have an impact on results for timepoint 3.

2) When you run three separate RE models, you are automatically allowing tau^2 to differ at the three timepoints. The multilevel model you specified on the other hand assumes that the two variance components (sigma^2.1 and sigma^2.2) are the same at all three timepoints. You could also try the following. First run:

random = ~ factor(timepoint) | doi, struct="CS"

to ensure that the results will be the same. This uses a different parameterization of multilevel model, namely in terms of the total variance (sigma^2.1 + sigma^2.2) and the correlation in the true outcomes (rho). Also, instead of effect_id, you can use 'timepoint' here. This assumes that, within each study, there is only a single row per timepoint. If that is not the case, then things will be different, but let me assume this now.

Next, set struct="HCS". This then allows the total variance to differ at the three timepoints. This is now one step closer to running three separate models (still not the same due to 1) above, but more similar). With three timepoints, you could even try struct="UN", which also allows the correlation between pairs of timepoints to differ (since the correlation between 1 and 2, 1 and 3, and 2 and 3 might differ).

One last point: Do you actually have longitudinal data? That is, are the proportions at the three timepoints within a study based on the same sample? Then you cannot assume that the sampling errors of the (transformed) proportions are independent of each other. To take this properly into consideration, you should look into:

help(dat.ishak2007)

and

help(dat.fine1993)

as examples of longitudinal meta-analyses.

And if so, one would have to further distinguish between the scenario where the event of interest (being a 'postitive case' in your data) can happen multiple times / intermittently to the same individual (e.g., the same subject can be a positive at timepoints 1 and 3 but not at 2) or where a subject, once found to be a postitive case, stays so. In that latter case, one can compute the proportions in different ways: 1) if positive at timepoint 1, then the subject is automatically counted as postitive for timepoints 2 and 3 and still counted for the denominator or 2) if positive at timepoint 1, then the subject is removed from further calculations of the proportions at timepoints 2 and 3.