[R-meta] Studies with more than one control group

James Pustejovsky jepu@to @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Jul 21 21:46:12 CEST 2021

Okay thanks for clarifying.

In this case, then using random effects per control group implies that
we're aiming to generalize to a population of studies, each of which could
involve one or possibly multiple control groups. Formally, the overall
average effect size parameter represents the mean of a set of
study-specific average effect size parameters, and those study-specific
average effect size parameters represent means from a distribution of
effects across a hypothetical set of possible control groups.

My interpretation here is related to another recent exchange on the
listserv about random effects and sampling:
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-meta-analysis/2021-July/002994.html

On Wed, Jul 21, 2021 at 10:56 AM Jack Solomon <kj.jsolomon using gmail.com> wrote:

> Oh sorry, yes they are simply labels (I thought all ID variables are
> labels). In our case, none of the control groups are waitlist groups.
> Basically, due to the criticisms in the literature regarding the definition
> of the control groups, some newer studies have included two "active"
> control groups (one doing X, the other doing Y) and then they benchmark
> their treated groups against both these control groups to show that doing X
> vs. Y has no bearing on the final result.
>
> I hope my clarification helps,
> Thanks again,
> Jack
>
> On Wed, Jul 21, 2021 at 10:43 AM James Pustejovsky <jepusto using gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I am still wondering whether control 1 versus control 2 has a specific
>> meaning. For example, perhaps controlID = 1 means that the study used a
>> wait-list control group, whereas controlID = 2 means that the study used an
>> attentional control group. Is this the case? Or is controlID just an
>> arbitrary set of labels, where you could have replaced the numerical values
>> as follows without losing any information?
>>
>> studyID  yi  controlID
>> 1        .1      A
>> 1        .2      B
>> 1        .3      A
>> 1        .4      B
>> 2        .5      C
>> 2        .6      D
>> 3        .7      E
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 21, 2021 at 10:29 AM Jack Solomon <kj.jsolomon using gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear James,
>>>
>>> Thank you for your reply. "controlID" distinguishes between effect sizes
>>> (SMDs in this case) that have been obtained by comparing the treated groups
>>> to control 1 vs. control 2 (see below).
>>>
>>> I was wondering if adding such an ID variable (just like schoolID) and
>>> the random effect associated with it would also mean that we are
>>> generalizing beyond the levels of controlID, which then, would mean that we
>>> anticipate that each study 'could' have any number of control groups and
>>> not just limited to a max of 2?
>>>
>>> Thanks again, Jack
>>>
>>> studyID  yi  controlID
>>> 1        .1      1