[R-meta] ES and meta-analysis for single-case studies

James Pustejovsky jepu@to @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Jul 21 16:11:53 CEST 2021

Hi Filippo,

Your question requires making judgements about the strengths and
limitations of evidence from these single-case-control designs relative to
the evidence from classical control-patient comparisons. Without
understanding the substance of the studies you're looking at, I am not in a
position to advise about this.

That said, one strategy that meta-analysts often use in these sorts of
situations is to investigate design differences empirically. That is: go
ahead and calculate effect size estimates across both types of designs,
then use sub-group analysis (or meta-regression) to look at differences in
the distribution of effects between the two types of study designs.

James