[R-meta] Inverting negative correlations

Danka Puric dj@gu@rd @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Jan 7 10:28:19 CET 2021

Dear David,

If I understood your question correctly, you are interested in the
relationship between (for example) social anxiety and extroversion and the
majority of primary studies report this correlation, but some report the
correlation between social anxiety and introversion.

In this case, I'd say you have to reverse the correlations for
introversion, because all effect sizes need to reflect the relationship you
are interested in. Otherwise, the overall estimate will be wrong.
You really don't need a specific reference for this (except maybe that
introversion is the opposite pole of extraversion), it's a situation
equivalent to recoding inversely worded items in a personality
questionnaire before calculating the summary score.

Also, I'm not sure it's best to think about this as taking the absolute
value of a correlation. Only if all correlations with extraversion in your
dataset are positive, and all correlations with introversion are negative
taking the absolute value of the correlation would give you the correct
estimate. In any other case, you would be treating a negative correlation
(of social anxiety and extroversion) as positive. If the true effect size
is positive but low, you would expect to find a few negative correlations
in primary studies.

To sum up, I think you should take the correlations for studies measuring
extraversion as they are, but reverse them for measures of introversion.

All the best,
Danka