[R-meta] Inverting negative correlations

Michael Dewey ||@t@ @end|ng |rom dewey@myzen@co@uk
Thu Jan 7 13:19:51 CET 2021

Note that this question has already been asked and answered on
CrossValidated

https://stats.stackexchange.com/questions/503654/inverting-a-negative-correlation

Michael

On 06/01/2021 19:06, Dr. Gerta Rücker wrote:
> Dear David,
>
> Yes, this is correct because
>
> Cov(X,-Y) = - Cov(X,Y)
>
> and the same holds for the correlations.
>
> It is important that the wording is correct. For your example, the
> interpretation would be that if there is a negative correlation between
> social anxiety and extraversion, there is a positive correlation between
> social anxiety and intraversion.
>
> Best,
>
> Gerta
>
> Am 06.01.2021 um 19:50 schrieb david detullio:
>> Hello all, I want to include correlation coefficients in a random-effects
>> model for meta-analysis. If the majority of the correlations are
>> positive,
>> could I use the absolute values of any negative correlations if such
>> correlations would have been positive had one of the measures been
>> reverse
>> scored? As an example, say there is a negative correlation between a
>> measure for social anxiety and a measure for extraversion. Would it be
>> possible to take the absolute value of the correlation under the
>> assumption
>> that the correlation would be positive if the measure for extraversion
>> was
>> reverse scored? Any answers would be appreciated, and if anyone knows of
>> source material that talks about this process, the reference would be
>> appreciated as well.
>>
>>     [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Michael
http://www.dewey.myzen.co.uk/home.html