[R-meta] RVE: degrees of freedom < 4

James Pustejovsky jepu@to @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Dec 13 15:37:47 CET 2021

Hi Catia,

The issue is with drawing inferences. When the degrees of freedom are
low (less than 4, say), the point estimates and the sampling variance
estimates should still be unbiased (or close to unbiased, for the
sampling variances). However, with low degrees of freedom, the
sampling variance estimate will be very noisy. Therefore, we don't
have a good way to judge the *uncertainty* in the point estimate.

James