[R-meta] Meta-Analysis: Proportion in overall survival rate

Gerta Ruecker ruecker @end|ng |rom |mb|@un|-|re|burg@de
Tue May 19 14:32:10 CEST 2020

Dear Nelly,

You could do this, at least in principle, if all proportions refer to
the same timepoint, for example 5 years. The problem is that the data
you obtain from studies with a time-to-event endpoint are different from
those that directly provide a five-year survival proportion: The
time-to-event analysis accounts for censoring, while the proportion of
living after five years relatively to all patients at baseline usually
does not account for censoring or missing data (and thus may
underestimate the true proportion).

If I understand you correctly, you want to pool survival proportions
(single-arm), not hazard ratios (comparing two arms).

The technical thing is that you have survival proportions with standard
error from the time-to-event studies and single proportions (survived/n)
from other studies. Survival proportions with standard errors can be
pooled usingthe  generic inverse variance method. Proportions are best
be pooled using generalized linear models. See, for example, the
examples for function metaprop() in R package meta.

Best,

Gerta