[R-meta] Difference in Proportions Meta-Analysis

Mon Jun 8 17:27:07 CEST 2020

I am not sure I really understand what you did. arm1_prop_plogis and arm2_prop_plogis actually sound like they are plogis()-transformed proportions, which doesn't make sense (plogis() is the inverse-logit transformation). The logit transformation is qlogis(). Not sure how you computed arm1_se and arm2_se. Why not use escalc(measure="PLO", ...), which will do things correctly for you?

But if you want to compare the two groups within studies directly, then you need to use measures such as the risk difference (measure="RD"), the log transformed risk ratio ("RR"), or the log transformed odds ratio ("OR"). In fact, the difference between two logit-transformed proportions *IS* the log transformed odds ratio.

So, just use escalc(measure="OR", ...) and then pass the 2x2 table counts via arguments 'ai', 'bi', 'ci', 'di' (or the 'event' counts via arguments 'ai' and 'ci' and the group sizes via 'n1i' and 'n2i'). See help(escalc) and search for "OR".