[R-meta] Overlapping CIs with significant difference among subgroups

Gerta Ruecker ruecker @end|ng |rom |mb|@un|-|re|burg@de
Thu Jun 4 11:31:51 CEST 2020

Dear Rafael,

First of all, the information content of standard errors and confidence
intervals is identical, they can be transformed into each other.
Secondly, to present standard errors in a graph, one would probably show
x ± SE(x) instead of x ± 1.96*SE(x). But what would be the advantage?
The interpretation of this intercval would mean that the true value is
covered by 68% of all such intervals (=1-2*(1-pnorm(1))). I don't think
that this is of more interest than a confidence interval.

The main aim of a forest plot is interval estimation, not statistically
comparing different studies.

Best,

Gerta

Am 04.06.2020 um 08:26 schrieb Rafael Rios:
> Dear Dr. Wolfgang,
>
> Thank you for the feedback. I was wondering why meta-analysts did not
> exhibit standard errors instead of confidence intervals in graphs. I can
> understand the importance of showing that CIs did not include zero, but
> standard errors can be more informative when comparing subgroups of a
> moderator. This is just a curiosity.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Rafael.
>
> Em qua, 3 de jun de 2020 às 05:02, Viechtbauer, Wolfgang (SP) <
> wolfgang.viechtbauer using maastrichtuniversity.nl> escreveu:
>
>> Dear Rafael,
>>
>> What specifically do you mean by "this practice"? Presenting estimated
>> (average) effects with their CIs when subgrouping the studies based on some
>> categorical variable? Indeed, one cannot directly infer based on the CIs
>> whether the subgroups are actually different from each other. For this, one
>> should conduct a proper test of subgroup differences. One can also directly
>> test whether the difference between two effects is significant or not or
>> present an estimate of the difference between two effects with a
>> corresponding CI (and if that CI excludes 0, then one knows that the test
>> of the difference is significant at alpha = (100 - CI level)/100). But I
>> see nothing generally wrong with the practice of presenting subgroup
>> effects with CIs.
>>
>> Best,
>> Wolfgang

Dr. rer. nat. Gerta Rücker, Dipl.-Math.

Institute of Medical Biometry and Statistics,
Faculty of Medicine and Medical Center - University of Freiburg

Stefan-Meier-Str. 26, D-79104 Freiburg, Germany

Phone:    +49/761/203-6673
Fax:      +49/761/203-6680
Mail:     ruecker using imbi.uni-freiburg.de
Homepage: https://www.uniklinik-freiburg.de/imbi.html