[R-meta] Overlapping CIs with significant difference among subgroups

Thu Jun 4 15:32:37 CEST 2020

I was going to ask the same thing. I don't see how SEs would be more informative than CIs.

But -- if two (independent) estimates have the same precision (i.e., standard error), then one can show that their 83.4% CIs will just touch when the (two-sided) p-value for a Wald-type test of the difference is equal to .05. So, in that case, 83.4% CIs will directly tell you whether the difference is significant or not.

Unfortunately, this doesn't work when the standard errors of the estimates are not the same. The larger the difference in SEs, the wider one needs to make the CI to have equivalence between 'non-overlap = significant difference'.