[R-meta] adapting forest plot visual

Michael Dewey ||@t@ @end|ng |rom dewey@myzen@co@uk
Thu Jun 4 11:15:08 CEST 2020

Dear Norman

There are many packages which perform meta-analysis in one form or
another, there are 100+ on CRAN, so it is unlikely that they will result
in objects with the same format. Since the R way is to access the
results of the fit using the extractor functions the authors are
entitled to change the internals as much as they like. I suggest that
for a given analysis you choose one of meta or metafor and stick to it
as far as possible.

Michael

On 04/06/2020 07:18, Norman DAURELLE wrote:

> Hello again everyone,
>
> I tired to use the arguments that you suggested Gerta, (col.study,
> col.square, col.square.lines and col.inside),
> but every time I got the same result, with nothing changed from the
> original plot,
> and warnings that read "In segments(...) : "col.study" is not a
> graphical parameter ".
>
> I tried to run the example you gave me though, and it worked alright,
> even though there were many lines not fitting in the plot I believe,
> but I could see the different colours for each effect size or for groups
> of effect sizes.
>
> Also, I am working with an object that is the result of using the rma
> function from the package metafor, and I don't quite understand what
> difference exists between rma, meta, and robu objects.
> I used the robu() function to have a result that accounts for the fact
> that some of the studies I use provide multiple effect-sizes to my
> meta-analysis,
> as shown in the youtube video by Daniel Quintana explaining his 2015
> article,
> "From pre-registration to publication : a non-technical primer for
> conducting a meta-analysis to synthesize correlational data".
> However, when I try to use the forest function with the robu object it
> doesn't work.
>
> Would you know what exactly differs between these rma, meta, and robu
> objects ?
> I understand that they are the results of different functions, but they
> are supposed to be meta-analysis results, so in my mind they should have
> been of the same format,
> or at least I should still be able to use the robu object in the forest
> function since the forest plot is the main result of the meta-analysis.
>
> Do you have any advice ?
>
> Thank you !
>
> Norman

Michael