[R-meta] Metafor: Reliability Generalization and Bonett-Transformation

Tue Oct 22 12:43:40 CEST 2019

Dear Daniel,

One cannot back-transform the value of tau^2 or tau in that manner. One possibility would be to apply the delta method (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_method). For the back-transformation of the ABT measure, this would be:

dat <- dat.bonett2010
dat <- escalc(measure="ABT", ai=ai, mi=mi, ni=ni, data=dat)
dat

res <- rma(yi, vi, data=dat)
res

c(res$tau2 * (exp(-res$beta))^2) # estimated tau^2 in the original units

That should be somewhat close to just analyzing the raw alpha values directly:

dat <- escalc(measure="ARAW", ai=ai, mi=mi, ni=ni, data=dat)
rma(yi, vi, data=dat)$tau2

But I wouldn't recommend doing this (either analyzing the raw alpha values or back-transforming tau^2 in this manner). Instead, one can just compute a prediction/credibility interval and back-transform its bounds:

dat <- escalc(measure="ABT", ai=ai, mi=mi, ni=ni, data=dat)
res <- rma(yi, vi, data=dat)
predict(res, transf=transf.iabt)

The cr.lb/ci.ub values reflect the amount of heterogeneity in a much more understandable way than reporting tau^2.