[R-meta] Question about explained variance at 2nd and 3rd level

Viechtbauer Wolfgang (SP) wolfgang.viechtbauer at maastrichtuniversity.nl
Tue Feb 27 19:56:38 CET 2018

Dear Willemijn,

Please keep the mailing list in cc.

There are other ways of computing R^2-like measures that would not show the same type of 'defect' that you are observing (with the 'proportional reduction in variance components' approach), but the ones that I can think of will only give you an R^2 for the whole model, not each level separately. For example, measures based on the log-likelihood like Nagelkerke's R^2 (which will require using ML estimation, not REML) should always be >= 0, since the log-likelihood cannot decrease with the addition of a predictor.