[R-meta] Question about explained variance at 2nd and 3rd level

Viechtbauer Wolfgang (SP) wolfgang.viechtbauer at maastrichtuniversity.nl
Mon Feb 26 15:53:45 CET 2018

Dear Willemijn,

What you are observing can also happen in 'standard' random/mixed-effects meta-regression models. Here is an example:

set.seed(123123)

k <- 30
vi <- runif(k, .001, 1)
yi <- rnorm(k, 0, sqrt(vi + .2))
xi <- rnorm(k)
rma(yi, vi)
rma(yi ~ xi, vi)

Note that tau^2 actually increases when 'xi' is included as a predictor. Unfortunately, given the nature of these models, this indeed can happen, even without any missing data. Missing data could make the problem worse.