[R-meta] inner-outer-grouping-factor-structure for multiple treatment studies

Vivien Bonnesoeur bonnesoeur.vivien at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 00:18:07 CEST 2017

thanks for your help
I've been computing the variance-covariance as you indicated :

ma.grass <- escalc(m1 = forest_mean, m2 = ref_mean, sd1 = forest_sd, sd2 =
ref_sd,
                   n1 = forest_N, n2 = ref_N, measure = "ROM", slab =
article)
V <- diag(ma.grass$vi)

and case by case, i filled the covariance with
V[row,column] <- V[column,row] <- forest_sd[row]^2 / (forest_N[row] *
forest_mean[row]^2)
or
V[row,column] <- V[column,row] <- ref_sd[row]^2 / (ref_N[row] *
ref_mean[row]^2)

I was able to fit a model but I'm not convinced about the result for
several reasons :

-- it does not confirm my intuition for the comparison between
afforestation and ungrazed grassland which did not show a significant
result while most of the contrast where significantly <0

-  the weights of the different contrasts also looks strange. For example
Breme's study has only 1 contrast and have a total number of sample = 126,
much more than the other studies but its weight is only 2.81% . On the
contrary, studies with several contrast can present  individual contrast
weights higher than 3% (and the total weight of the study higher than 15%)
while the their total number of sample is twice as less as Breme. If I
adjust  a fixed-effect model, Breme indeed has a much stronger weight
(41%). A fixed-effect model is likely not relevant in my case but the
difference of weight with the random effect model is so strong that I have
the overall impression that studies with several contrasts are overweighted
in the random effect model.
Actually, in the code you proposed for SMD effect size, the
variance-covariance matrix is calculated from the total number of sample
from the study (called "Ni" in the example), so that each study with
multiple treatment are well weighted. In the code I used for the ROM effect
size, there was no such adjustment to account for the real number of
samples for studies with several contrasts.
Is it possible to do such adjustment to get more reasonable weights?

I hope my questions and remarks are not too irrelevant, it's the first time
I'm doing a meta-analysis.
best regards
Vivien

--