[R-meta] inner-outer-grouping-factor-structure for multiple treatment studies

Viechtbauer Wolfgang (SP) wolfgang.viechtbauer at maastrichtuniversity.nl
Wed Sep 6 18:03:01 CEST 2017

I can only give some general feedback based on the information available.

First of all, the sampling variance of a ROM value is not just a function of the sample size, but also of the (squared) coefficient of variation. That may also differ across studies.

Also, in your model, there are not just weights, but there is an entire weight matrix (see: weights(model, type="matrix")) that depends not only on the V matrix, but also var-cov matrix of the random effects, which is probably also not diagonal here. Therefore, focusing solely on the diagonal of the weight matrix can be a bit misleading.

If there is a lot of heterogeneity in the data, then it can also happen that certain pooled contrasts are not significant even though the individual contrasts are. For RE models, pooling does not necessarily lead to an increase in power.

I am also not sure what kind of random effects you are using, so there could also be problems with how you are specifying the random effects.

The stuff for SMD is not really transferable conceptually to ROM. The total sample size appears in the equation for the variances and covariances for SMD because (in that example) the pooled variance (across all groups within each study) is used to compute the SMD values. But for ROM, the variance (whether pooled or not) is not actually used in computing the measure, so that also does not affect how the variances and covariances are computed.