[R-meta] inner-outer-grouping-factor-structure for multiple treatment studies

Viechtbauer Wolfgang (SP) wolfgang.viechtbauer at maastrichtuniversity.nl
Mon Sep 4 16:25:00 CEST 2017

I am not quite sure why you switched to the standardized mean difference as the outcome measure if your original plan was to use the (log) ratio of means. Switching just because I happen to give some illustrative code for the SMD (instead of ROM) on the metafor website is not really a good reason for such a decision IMHO.

In the end, this is purely a programming issue now. As I mentioned, your dataset is a bit more complex, since in your case, it isn't always the first (or second) group whose data is being reused, but sometimes the first, sometimes the second. So the code that I give on the metafor website isn't going to work for you anyway without some further adjustments.

Again, for ROM, the covariance is simply:

sd^2/(n*mean^2)

from the group whose data is being re-used. escalc() already gives you the variances, which go on the diagonal of the V matrix. So, you just need to find a way to fill in the off-diagonal elements of V using the formula above. You could even get this done with something like:

ma.grass <- escalc(m1 = forest_mean, m2 = ref_mean, sd1 = forest_sd, sd2 = ref_sd,
                   n1 = forest_N, n2 = ref_N, measure = "ROM", slab = article)

V <- diag(ma.grass$vi)

And let's say the first and second row are data from a multi-treatment study with 2 treatment groups and 1 control group, where 'ref' corresponds to the control group (so ref_mean/sd/N[1] and ref_mean/sd/N[2] are actually the same data). Then:

V[1,2] <- V[2,1] <- ref_sd[1]^2 / (ref_N[1] * ref_mean[1]^2)

will fill in the covariance of the first and second row into the V matrix.

Now proceed in the same way for other studies. If the data from the 'forest' group are being reused, then use:

V[row,column] <- V[column,row] <- forest_sd[row]^2 / (forest_N[row] * forest_mean[row]^2)

This isn't elegant and 'hard coded' but it gets the job done.