[R-meta] Overdispersion in data analyized by metafor. Does one need to correct, if so how can is this accomplished?

Viechtbauer Wolfgang (SP) wolfgang.viechtbauer at maastrichtuniversity.nl
Tue Oct 31 12:54:36 CET 2017

Dear John,

It seems that these are 'paired' data, that is, the first row for type 'general' goes together with the first row for type 'regional' and so on (otherwise the restructuring into the wide format would not make sense). So the first comment I would have is that the data should be analyzed as such. The Poisson, QuasiPoisson, and negative binomial models do not account for this pairing/clustering. A multilevel model should be used instead.

Leaving this issue aside for now, if you want to compare models, you would want to compare the Poisson model with:

dat <- escalc(measure="IRLN", xi=events, ti=SS, data=jdata)
rma(yi, vi, mods = ~ type, data=dat, method="FE")

That is, the Poisson model is conceptually the same as analyzing log transformed incidence rates, with 'type' as a moderator, and using a 'fixed-effects model'. As the Poisson model, this yields a significant 'type' effect.

There appears to be a lot of residual heterogeneity in these data and the 'meta-analytic way' to account for this overdispersion is to add estimate/observation-level random effects to the model. That is, we fit a random/mixed-effects model with:

rma(yi, vi, mods = ~ type, data=dat)

As the QuasiPoisson and negative binomial models, this yields a non-significant 'type' effect. So, to answer your question: In metafor -- or more generally, in meta-analysis -- overdispersion can be accounted for by using random/mixed-effects models.

But in that sense, neither the QuasiPoisson nor the negative binomial model is conceptually 100% analogous to what happens in the meta-analytic model. The most direct comparison would be using a Poisson mixed-effects model, again with observation level random effects:

library(lme4)
jdata$id <- 1:nrow(jdata)
res <- glmer(events ~ type + (1 | id), family=poisson(link=log), offset=log(SS), data=jdata)
summary(res)

You will find the results from this model to match very closely with those from the meta-analytic model.

To come back though to the earlier point: I think one would want to use a model that accounts for the pairing/clustering. For example:

jdata$pair <- 1:16
res <- glmer(events ~ type + (1 | pair/id), family=poisson(link=log), offset=log(SS), data=jdata)
summary(res)

The analogous meta-analysis model would be:

dat <- escalc(measure="IRLN", xi=events, ti=SS, data=jdata)
rma.mv(yi, vi, mods = ~ type, random = ~ 1 | pair/id, data=dat)

Again, very similar results.

Alternatively, you could use the wide-format dataset and then analyze log incidence rate ratios:

dat <- escalc(measure="IRR", x1i=regionalevents, t1i=regionaln, x2i=generalevents, t2i=generaln, data=datawide)
rma(yi, vi, data=dat)

Pretty much the same results (the coefficient is the wrong sign, since in your code for restructuring, you mixed up the 'regional' and 'general' columns).

Interestingly, there is now a significant 'type' effect BUT IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION. Well, hello there, Simpson's paradox! So, the large majority of the heterogeneity/overdispersion is between pairs and relatively little within pairs. Therefore, when comparing 'alike with alike' (i.e., within pairs), we do detect the significant effect of 'type' and in the appropriate direction.

For the QuasiPoisson or negative binomial models, you could add 'pair' as a factor:

model2=glm(events~type + factor(pair),family=quasipoisson(link=log),offset=log(SS),data=jdata)
print(summary(model2))
model3 <- glm.nb(events~type+factor(pair)+offset(joffset),link=log,data=jdata,weights=jdata[,"weight"])
summary(model3)

That leads to the same conclusion.

Wolfgang Viechtbauer, Ph.D., Statistician | Department of Psychiatry and
Neuropsychology | Maastricht University | P.O. Box 616 (VIJV1) | 6200 MD
Maastricht, The Netherlands | +31 (43) 388-4170 | http://www.wvbauer.com