[R-meta] Freeman-Tukey double arcsine transformation and harmonic mean

Naike Wang wangnaike1989 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 8 01:18:44 CEST 2017

Thank you for your answer, Dr. Viechtbauer.
I think you were right. MetaXL seems to apply the inverse transformation of
the arcsine transformation to double arcsine transformed proportions in
order to pool an average proportion. I tested this assumption with
the example dataset "SchizophreniaPrev" built in MetaXL and yielded very
similar results.
Here's my code:

dat=read.csv("your working directory\\schizophreniaprev.c
sv",header=T,sep=",")
transf.ies=escalc(measure="PFT",xi=cases,ni=total,data=dat, add=0) #computing
individual transformed proportions using the double arcsine transformation
transf.pes=rma(yi,vi,data=transf.ies,method="DL",weighted=TRUE) #pooling
transformed proportions under the random effect size model
pes=predict(transf.pes,transf=transf.iarcsin) #back-transforming
with inverse of the arcsine transformation
print(pes,digits=4)

>My results:
pred         ci.lb       ci.ub
0.5856    0.5089   0.6603