[R-SIG-Mac] Table of contents for book changed after LaTeX update

Marc Schwartz m@rc_@chw@rtz @end|ng |rom me@com
Wed May 8 16:37:35 CEST 2024

Hi Antony,

Going back and looking at the thread over the weekend, I am wondering, if you did not uninstall the older version of TexLive/MacTeX, and there may be some conflicts with TinyTex, especially given the age of your old TexLive/MacTeX version.

I found the following report, albeit, from 2021:

  https://github.com/rstudio/rmarkdown/issues/2172

that might support the hypothesis of a conflict between the two TeX installations.

TeXLive/MacTex will typically install in /usr/local/texlive/XXXX, where XXXX is the year of the version. If that is still present, or there is more than one, and presuming that you want to stay with TinyTeX, I would remove the old installation(s).

There will also be a texmf-local folder in the /usr/local/texlive folder and you should probably remove that as well.

After the above, you may want to reboot your Mac, then reinstall TinyTeX, just to be sure that you then have a full and clean install.

I install the full MacTeX version of TexLive from https://tug.org/mactex/, and just update the installation each year, removing the prior year's version, typically in the March/April timeframe on release. I also do frequent incremental updates of the installation using the TexLive utility app.

Regards,

Marc Schwartz