[R-SIG-Mac] Please test R 4.2.0 pre-releases

Simon Urbanek @|mon@urb@nek @end|ng |rom R-project@org
Sun Apr 17 23:29:36 CEST 2022

Adrian,

thanks for testing!

1) Re package installation:

The regular R rules apply here: If the user-specific library (see Sys.getenv("R_LIBS_USER")) exists at the time of the start of R, then R will prepend it to the search path (see ?.libPaths). The default in install.packages() is to pick the first entry of .libPaths() (see ?install.packages) so packages will be installed into the user library if it is present and at the system location otherwise. Again, this is standard R behavior on all platforms.

The Package Installer in the R.app GUI gives you full control - you are explicitly setting the location where you want to install the package. However, no effort is made to check that the target location is on you current search path. I can see that this may be confusing in case where you don't have a user library (and thus it is not on .libPaths()) and then install packages "At User Level" which creates the user library, but packages installed there will be only found on the next start of R since the library did not exist when R was constructing the .libPaths(). I can modify the GUI to check and make sure the user library is added to the path after it has been created.

2) tab-complete: can you elaborate on that one? I cannot reporduce the error, so please send more details instructions how to reproduce.

Thanks,
Simon