[R-SIG-Mac] R for macOS Big Sur

Gregory Coats gregco@t@ @end|ng |rom me@com
Thu Jan 14 19:06:28 CET 2021

macOS Big Sur has shipped with all Apple Mac computers since Thu 2020-11-12.
The web site https://mac.r-project.org/ shows that as of Thu 2021-01-14 00:56
1. R compiled for Big Sur for Macs with the Intel CISC x86_64 chip is not available.
2. R compiled for Big Sur for Macs with the Apple M1 RISC chip (=ARM64) FAILED to compile.
So, R is not available to any of us who have bought Apple Mac computers in the past 2 months.

A note posted to R-SIG-Mac on Thu 2021-01-14 by Brian Ripley says
"The goal remains to release a native binary distribution with R 4.1.0 about April 2021."
A similar note posted on Fri 2021-01-08 said
"We hope this will be solved by the end of January 2021."

Waiting until April 2021 to run an application on a computer purchased in Nov 2020 seems like a very long wait. I suggest a goal of releasing R compiled for Big Sur for Macs with the Intel CISC x86_64 chip before the end of January 2021.
Greg Coats