[R-SIG-Mac] R for macOS Big Sur

Jean Thioulouse je@n@th|ou|ou@e @end|ng |rom un|v-|yon1@|r
Thu Jan 14 20:10:01 CET 2021

Hi

- On Intel Macs:

R 4.0.3 binary is available for macOS 10.13 (High Sierra) and higher (including Big Sur).

- On M1 Macs (Big Sur) :

You can use the above R binary in Rosetta mode (faster than on most intel macs)

And, if you are "intrepid" (according to Prof. Ripley): There is an experimental R-devel build of the R framework at https://mac.r-project.org/.  That page reports 'failed' but usually the framework is complete.

Both are doing quite well on my Mac Mini M1 and run faster that on my Intel Core i5 2018 MacBook Pro.

And you can also use RStudio in Rosetta mode.

Jean