[R-SIG-Mac] svn location

Carl Witthoft c@r| @end|ng |rom w|ttho|t@com
Fri Aug 28 19:11:11 CEST 2020

Well, I put this new svn in /usr/local, then checked around my Catalina
system:

iMac:~ cgw$ which svn
/usr/bin/svn
iMac:local cgw$ cd /usr/bin
iMac:bin cgw$ ls -l svn
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  31488 Aug 10 16:55 svn
iMac:bin cgw$ cd /usr/local
iMac:local cgw$ ls -l svn
-rwxr-xr-x@ 1 cgw  wheel  8767792 Aug 25 18:04 svn
iMac:local cgw$ what svn
svn
	1.14.0 (r1876290)

That's a huge difference in file size!  Any idea what the /usr/bin one is?

Carl

On 8/26/20 1:00 PM, peter dalgaard wrote:
> Not dumb.
>
> Simon's usual style is that tarballs are installed at / and things end up under /usr/local, using the procedure outlined at the bottom of
>
> https://mac.r-project.org/libs/
>
> but you should probably check with "tar tvfz" first.
>
> -pd
>

>> On 26 Aug 2020, at 18:43 , Carl Witthoft <carl using witthoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> Dumb question from someone who hasn't done any building in quite a while: recommended director to place the svn executable?
>> thanks
>> Carl
>>
>> On 8/26/20 6:00 AM, r-sig-mac-request using r-project.org wrote:
>>
>>>     1.  svn now available from the tools (Simon Urbanek)
>>> ntent-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>>> If you want to build R from the svn repository you need svn (subversion). Xcode 10 has removed svn so it is no loner available from Apple, we are providing a binary (cmopatible with OS X 10.11 and higher) in
>>> https://mac.r-project.org/tools/
>>> (in "optional tools and libraries" at the bottom), direct link:
>>> https://mac.r-project.org/tools/subversion-1.14.0-darwin15.6.tar.gz
>>> It is a single-file signed, static build so has no dependencies and can be run from anywhere.
>>> Cheers,

Carl Witthoft
carl using witthoft.com
resume: https://app.box.com/file/498153801347