[R-SIG-Mac] svn location

Simon Urbanek @|mon@urb@nek @end|ng |rom R-project@org
Fri Aug 28 23:45:27 CEST 2020

Carl,

the one in /usr/bin is just a stub from Apple that re-directs to real svn. Where that one is depends on your installed tools (Xcode/CLT,...), for CLT it is in

$ ls -lh /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/svn
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  admin   321K Jul 13  2019 /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/svn

And it is a dynamic build so it needs all the dependent libraries (see otool -L). The build I'm providing is single-file so all (non-system) libraries are included in the binary hence it is bigger.

As to where to put it, I'd probably use /usr/local/bin, but if you don't have access there you can run it from your home or anywhere else.