[R-SIG-Mac] istate CRAN mirror not working - unable to use .Rprofile to change

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 00:22:05 CEST 2017

On 08/06/2017 5:50 PM, Michael Hall wrote:

>> On Jun 8, 2017, at 5:53 AM, Duncan Murdoch <murdoch.duncan at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> If you are using R.app, you can also set the mirror in the Preferences menu.  Perhaps this setting overrides the .Rprofile setting.
>>

> I was using the app and wasn’t aware of the preference, so thanks.
>
> There was no .Rprofile before I added one.
>
> I wasn’t sure what the app was basing this on. I didn’t see a Rprofile. <http://rprofile.info/>site anywhere in the framework either. Just a csv file that seemed to include all the mirrors turned up in a search.
>
> Whether or not being unable to do this with .Rprofile is a concern I don’t know. Looking again at help(Startup) it shows doing this as an example for Rprofile.site and not .Rprofile. I haven’t tried with .Rprofile.site.
> But I can’t exactly say it is documented that this should work. Although you might assume that you should be able to do in .Rprofile whatever might be done in Rprofile.site.

The documentation about .Rprofile is documentation about R.  R.app is a
separate project that acts as a front end to R.  Front ends can change
things that R does.  R.app uses its own Mac OS ways of storing
persistent configuration information.

> But again, for my purposes yes, the preference is fine to change the default mirror and get me working normally. Thanks again.
>
> I am still a little curious if there are any thoughts on why the iastate mirror stopped working?

You would likely have to figure out who was running it, and ask them.
Mirrors are coordinated by CRAN, but are run by the local people who run
them.

Duncan Murdoch