[R-SIG-Mac] R commander installation problem (Mac OSX Capitan)

Fox, John jfox at mcmaster.ca
Wed Jun 1 14:41:51 CEST 2016

Dear Candice,

Your message is a bit hard to read -- R-SIG-Mac list doesn't accept HTML email and reformatted the message. Also, although you don't say so, I assume that you're using the current versions of R and the Rcmdr package. If you haven't already done so, please read the R Commander installation notes at <http://socserv.socsci.mcmaster.ca/jfox/Misc/Rcmdr/installation-notes.html>.

I don't know the source of your problem but it may help to try to isolate it. First, see whether the tcltk package -- a standard part of R -- is working. In a fresh session, type the command library(tcltk) at the > R command prompt and then the command tk_messageBox(message="test") . If that doesn't work, as is likely, you'll know that the problem isn't peculiar to the Rcmdr package.

Second, if you haven't already done so, log out of your account and then back in -- or just reboot your Mac -- and try again. You have to log out after installing XQuartz.

Next, try running R in a Mac terminal window (just type R at the terminal command prompt) rather than using R.app. See whether the tcltk and Rcmdr packages work when you bypass R.app.

Finally, try reinstalling everything -- R, the Rcmdr package, and XQuartz. Reboot and try again.

Let us know what happens.

I hope this helps,
 John

John Fox, Professor