[R-SIG-Mac] Right to left languages support in R on mac

Nguyen, Duc-Quang (swissinfo) Ducquang.Nguyen at swissinfo.ch
Tue Apr 12 10:36:50 CEST 2016

Thank you for your answer.

Unfortunately, I cannot read any right-to-left languages besides the bug I mentioned. But I work in a multilingual environment (newsroom in 10 languages) with arabic journalists but no arabic programmer. I will try find reaching out for R programmers fluent in these languages.

I think however that this bug could be addressed even without any knowledge of a right-to-left language. From this simple example (http://rpubs.com/d-qn/170211), one could immediately see that the xlab text provided got inverted when plotted.

FYI, I have thrown texts in all kinds of non-latin alphabets (cyrillic, japanese, chinese, … ) and it works fine. Only right-to-left on mac seems broken when plotting (in base graphics, ggplot2, ...) but it is handled correctly otherwise (for instance assigning RTL text to a variable and then printing that variable in the console).

Duc-Quang Nguyen