[R-SIG-Mac] Update underlying SQLite for RSQLite

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Sun Sep 27 09:00:25 CEST 2015

On Sep 26, 2015, at 5:02 PM, Merton Lister wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've just installed R on my mac and installed some packages, but I have a
> couple of questions regarding updating a package.
>
> I've found some instructions on how to update version of SQLite here:
> https://github.com/rstats-db/RSQLite#update-version-of-sqlite.
>
> However, it is unclear to me how this will actually update the underlying
> SQLite engine used by RSQLite. If I execute the listed commands in R
> console, it seems that all they do is to download the a version of SQLite
> source code, and extract the files into 'src/' minus the 'shell.c' file.
>
> I have two questions: 1. where exactly is this 'src/' directory?

I have no idea. These directions may be Linux specific.

> (is it
> specifically for RSQLite only?) 2. After extracting the source files, don't
> we need to compile them into RSQLite?

I would have thought so, too. This is the top of the description file for RSQLite
------------------
Version 1.0.0

Title SQLite Interface for R

Package ‘RSQLite’

February 19, 2015

Description This package embeds the SQLite database engine in R and provides an interface compliant with the DBI package.
The source for the SQLite engine (version 3.8.6) is included.

So that is (only?) 5 minor versions behind the current one: 3.8.11.1.

There are precompiled versions for each of the  three "standard" platforms at the SQLite website. I agree that unzipping a source version seems unlikely to change the compiled engine. If I were trying to be bleeding edgy, which I generally try to avoid,  I would have installed the appropriate binary:

http://www.sqlite.org/2015/sqlite-shell-osx-x86-3081101.zip