[R-SIG-Mac] checking for pdflatex

Berend Hasselman bhh at xs4all.nl
Mon Mar 16 19:33:40 CET 2015

John,

> On 16-03-2015, at 18:53, John Fox <jfox at mcmaster.ca> wrote:
>
> Dear Berend,
> ….
>>
>> For what it’s worth: I have the following code in the .First function in
>> ~/.Rprofile:
>> (R 3.1.3 on OS X Yosemite)
>>
>>    if( .Platform$GUI == "AQUA" ) {
>>        # this appends /usr/local/bin to what is already in PATH
>>        # by default this is already in PATH (at least in 10.6.8)
>>        # so remove any duplicated items
>>        z <- Sys.getenv("PATH")
>>        z <- unlist(strsplit(z,.Platform$path.sep,fixed=TRUE))
>>        # add path to MacTeX executables for OS X Yosemite (which has a bug)
>>        # in Terminal it is added automatically
>>        z[length(z)+1] <- "/usr/texbin"
>>        Sys.setenv(PATH=paste(z[!duplicated(z)],collapse=.Platform$path.sep))
>>    }
>
> This should work fine if pdflatex is in /usr/texbin, which I now understand is by far the most common case (and is the case on my Mac).
>
> Do you mind if I adapt your code for the Rcmdr? I can fix the path in this manner at startup of the Rcmdr GUI and restore it to its initial value on exit from the GUI.

Go right ahead. Don’t forget it assumes MacTeX.

But do also have a look Simon’s suggestion of using path_helper, which seems more flexible than my solution:

I tried this in R-GUI

system2("/usr/libexec/path_helper","-s", stdout=TRUE)

and got this answer

[1] "PATH=\"/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/opt/X11/bin:/usr/texbin\"; export PATH;”

which will have to be fiddled with to get something that is usable.

Berend