[R-SIG-Mac] making R.app and home-brew live happily together

Federico Calboli f.calboli at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Feb 28 12:59:41 CET 2014

Hi All,

I recently moved from OS 10.8.5 to 10.9.2.  So far so good.  After years of using Macports (without any issues) I decided on a whim to give Homebrew a try.  Before installing Homebrew I had installed R-3.0-branch-snowleopard-signed.pkg from http://r.research.att.com.

Using brew doctor tell me that:

brew doctor
Warning: Unbrewed dylibs were found in /usr/local/lib.
If you didn't put them there on purpose they could cause problems when
building Homebrew formulae, and may need to be deleted.

Unexpected dylibs:
    /usr/local/lib/libtcl8.6.dylib
    /usr/local/lib/libtk8.6.dylib

Warning: Unbrewed .pc files were found in /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig.
If you didn't put them there on purpose they could cause problems when
building Homebrew formulae, and may need to be deleted.

Unexpected .pc files:
    /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/tcl.pc
    /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/tk.pc

Warning: Unbrewed static libraries were found in /usr/local/lib.
If you didn't put them there on purpose they could cause problems when
building Homebrew formulae, and may need to be deleted.

Unexpected static libraries:
    /usr/local/lib/libtclstub8.6.a
    /usr/local/lib/libtkstub8.6.a

pkgutil identifies these files as coming from the R pkg.  Can I safely ignore the whining of brew doctor or not (I like R.app and I’d rather keep it)?  I plan to use home-brew to install gcc, gsl, ffmpeg, and scipy (for python 3).  I would say I do not envision conflicts and bugs but I’d rather ask first.

BW

PS  I also asked on apple stack, but I haven’t go any reasonable answer thus far and I’d rather get going.