[R-SIG-Mac] making R.app and home-brew live happily together

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Fri Feb 28 18:38:49 CET 2014

Federico,

> On Feb 28, 2014, at 7:59, Federico Calboli <f.calboli at imperial.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> I recently moved from OS 10.8.5 to 10.9.2.  So far so good.  After years of using Macports (without any issues) I decided on a whim to give Homebrew a try.  Before installing Homebrew I had installed R-3.0-branch-snowleopard-signed.pkg from http://r.research.att.com.
>
> Using brew doctor tell me that:
>
> brew doctor
> Warning: Unbrewed dylibs were found in /usr/local/lib.
> If you didn't put them there on purpose they could cause problems when
> building Homebrew formulae, and may need to be deleted.
>
> Unexpected dylibs:
>    /usr/local/lib/libtcl8.6.dylib
>    /usr/local/lib/libtk8.6.dylib
>
> Warning: Unbrewed .pc files were found in /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig.
> If you didn't put them there on purpose they could cause problems when
> building Homebrew formulae, and may need to be deleted.
>
> Unexpected .pc files:
>    /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/tcl.pc
>    /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/tk.pc
>
> Warning: Unbrewed static libraries were found in /usr/local/lib.
> If you didn't put them there on purpose they could cause problems when
> building Homebrew formulae, and may need to be deleted.
>
> Unexpected static libraries:
>    /usr/local/lib/libtclstub8.6.a
>    /usr/local/lib/libtkstub8.6.a
>
> pkgutil identifies these files as coming from the R pkg.  Can I safely ignore the whining of brew doctor or not (I like R.app and I’d rather keep it)?  I plan to use home-brew to install gcc, gsl, ffmpeg, and scipy (for python 3).  I would say I do not envision conflicts and bugs but I’d rather ask first.

Unfortunately HB installs by default in /usr/local and requires full control so you cannot have native libraries and HB in the same place at the same time. So essentially you have to pick one or the other. There are two options:

a) install HB in another place. This allows you to keep native libraries in /usr/local and parallel HB. HB is less tested that way, though, so that's why HB is shy of recommending it.

b) ignore HB's moaning. It should be ok as long as you don't install tcl/tk via HB. It may get complicated if dependencies detect tcl/tk so for safety you could rename the .pc files and the t*Config.sh files if you don't expect to compile R packages that depend on tcl/tk.