[R-SIG-Mac] building 32-bit version of R 3.x

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Feb 25 12:11:33 CET 2014

On 25/02/2014 08:16, Alexy Khrabrov wrote:
> I have a niche reason to build a 32-bit version of R.  I'm playing with F#
> on Mono on Mac OSX, and specifically with Deedle, a data frame
> implementation in F#.  There's an RProvider, a type provider in F# -- a
> higher-level way to provide a set of functionality, types, and data to F#.
>   RProvider links to the local R library similarly to rJava.  Since Mono is
> 32-bit by default, and its IDE, Xamarin Studio, runs only in 32-bit mode,
> it's thought to be much easier to recompile R for 32-bit mode than the
> whole of Mono.
>
> Looking at the sources, there's no obvious way to switch to 32-bit.  The
> gfortran.pkg (4.2.3) seems obsolete; I've configured the default setup

So?  At least it includes a 32-bit compiler (by default if I understand
the version you are using).

> successfully only after installing gfortran 4.8.2 via brew.  But setting
> CPPFLAGS="-arch x686" reports that Fortran mangling is messed up.

You need to specify a 32-bit compiler.  AFAIK -arch is specific to Apple
front-ends, and the value is i386, not x686.

If you build multilib GCC from the sources, the flag needed is -m32.

This *is* all in the relevant manual.

> So how do I build me a shared R library for 32-bit mode?
>
> A+
>
> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

See the posting guide: no HTML mail.