[R-SIG-Mac] apparently solved: hang on Open Dialog box

Carl Witthoft carl at witthoft.com
Tue Dec 23 23:13:05 CET 2014

I think I've solved the problem.  I have been using FinderPop for ages
sans problems, but the R.app-specific problem described previously went
away as soon as I added R.app to the list of excluded applications for
FinderPop.

Dunno why this is, but hardly worth asking anyone to dive into the R.app
source code (or FinderPop ) to fix.

Thanks to Simon for running some tests at his end.

Carl

On 12/23/14 11:36 AM, Simon Urbanek wrote:
> Carl,
>
> I cannot replicate it even with your file. "Hang" in open dialog are
> typically caused by the system - e.g. waiting for disks mounted etc.
> - R is simply waiting for the system (LS/Finder) to gather
> information about all disks. I suspect you may be accessing some disk
> (virtual or real) that has issues. The plist only has recent files,
> so I don't think it's directly involved - the only thing I can think
> of is that it may be directing the UI to the bad location. Is there
> anything you can think of that would cause volume access issues on
> your system? (network mounts, virutal disks, etc.)
>
> Cheers, Simon
>

> On Dec 23, 2014, at 10:07 AM, Carl Witthoft <carl at witthoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> Hi, I got the same corruption problem again that causes a spinning
beachball hang when I try to open a file via the "Open" dialog window.

> This time I traced it down to a specific plist file, and have posted
the bad file to my GitHub account:

https://github.com/cellocgw/Rgoodies/blob/master/BADorg.R-project.R.LSSharedFileList.plist

> If someone could take a look and see what happened to that file (or
> if
a "bad" file name somehow is causing the problem, e.g.), I'd be very
greatful.

--

Sent from a parallel universe almost, but not entirely,
nothing at all like this one.