[R-SIG-Mac] bypassing the R.app help browser?

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Wed Aug 13 00:15:28 CEST 2014

Hi Marc,

Yes, there is that possibility.

> If this is for Rcmdr, perhaps this is something that could be added to
> a menu, where the user can alter the behavior in either direction as
> desired, if that makes sense.

As you guessed, this is for the Rcmdr, where the built-in R.app browser
doesn't play well with dialog help buttons -- the browser is unresponsive
until the dialog that called it closes -- while an external html-help
browser works fine.

I've now successfully implemented the approach I outlined, in which the
previous setting is restored when the Commander GUI closes. As you point
out, this isn't bullet-proof, but I think it is the best I can do for now.
Allowing the user to apply the change would be safer, but users are unlikely
to discover the option.

> Simon would need to comment on the potential for alternatives.

Yes, that would be welcome. I still think that a setting via options() would
be better.

Thanks again for your help,
 John