[R-SIG-Mac] similar problems installing Rcmdr with R.

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Tue Sep 24 18:24:37 CEST 2013

Dear Mark,

As was the case with other similar recent problems, this issue appears to
pertain to the tcltk package and only indirectly to the Rcmdr. You can
verify that by trying to load tcltk directly via library(tcltk).

I assume that when you say that you updated everything, that included
running Mac OS X Software Update.

As you point out, your problem appears to be similar to an earlier problem
reported by Sarah Hardy at
<http://grokbase.com/t/r/r-sig-mac/138nv3tj17/unable-to-load-rcmdr-with-r-3-
0-1-on-a-mac-os-x-10-8-3>. In her case, fixing the files permissions fixed
the problem, as indicated in the same thread. Did

	sudo chmod a+rx /usr/local/*

work for you as it did for her? (I see that Rodney Sparapani has just made
an equivalent suggestion.)

Another question, assuming that this fix works, is why you experienced the
problem in the first place. In Sarah's case, the permissions were screwed up
by MacPorts.

I'm copying this response to Simon Urbanek to make sure that he's aware of
this thread (though there's no need for Simon to respond if fixing the
permissions works).

I hope this helps,
 John