[R-SIG-Mac] stdout Phantom Text

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Fri Jan 18 23:48:06 CET 2013

AFAICS this happens if you don't have anything defined in the editor window and start typing something like

a<
or
a==

where "a" can be any identifier. It goes away the moment you have a function defined in the document.

Note that you can disable this by setting "Redirect stdout/err" to NO at the cost of no longer seeing any stdout/err in the console.

Unfortunately this is really hard to trace, because it is output that is somehow generated on stdout and then fed back to R, so tracing the output doesn't give you the source. My best attempt how to trace it is really going back in the GUI revisions to see where it started which is what I plan to do next (once I have a quiet minute) ...