[R-SIG-Mac] Phantom Text

Joseph Coyle coylejp at cardiff.ac.uk
Mon Jan 21 00:27:17 CET 2013

Hi

Regarding the phantom text problem I have had a poke around the subversion tree and found that the bug was introduced in the subversion commit from 28 August 2012 10:02:49 GMT+01:00.   Specifically the method:  - (void)textStorageDidProcessEditing:(NSNotification *)notification from RScriptEditorTextView was altered to comment out the if statement shown below which serves to interrupt the syntax highlighting on large text blocks to improve performance.

		if([[theTextStorage string] length] > 120000) {
			breakSyntaxHighlighting = 1;
		}

The line below was then added presumably as a temporary test.

breakSyntaxHighlighting = 1;

If the previous line is removed from the latest sources it eliminates the phantom text problem.   Although this appears to be the root of the problem I have not yet discovered why the first token parsed is emitted on stdout when this option is set, perhaps this indicates that there is another bug lurking somewhere.

Regards

Joseph Coyle