[R-SIG-Mac] finding things in R manuals

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Feb 3 13:59:47 CET 2012

If you have multiple versions of R installed it is really convenient
that they contain the appropriate manuals.  I have an archive back to
2.0.0 (and a few before) that I consult surprisingly often.

Our dept builds for Linux have always done 'make install install-pdf',
and I think the argument that binary distributions of R should contain
all the useful pieces is strong now space does not matter.

The Windows team have decided to simplify their installer for 2.15.0
and always install all the documentation and tests, so the only
choices will be 32-bit, 64-bit or both.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk