[R-SIG-Mac] finding things in R manuals

Berend Hasselman bhh at xs4all.nl
Fri Feb 3 12:54:41 CET 2012

On 03-02-2012, at 12:37, Ruth Ripley wrote:

> I prefer Adobe reader's directory search. But I don't have the up-to-date set of pdf manuals on my computer. I can do an easy global search of the html manuals with text wrangler but I then have to read html. I am thinking I will have to start building my own R just to get the ability to build the manual pdf's.

I don't think you have to do that. I also like using the pdf manuals for browsing/searching/...

I recently built the pdf manuals for R-2.14.1. I have attached two scripts that did it for me.

The setup script prepares the R build system.
The make-R-pdf script just makes the pdf manuals and copies them to the current directory.
Both these scripts should placed in the directory where you have unpacked R sources (R-2.14.1.tar.gz).

Comments and improvements welcome.

Berend