[R-SIG-Mac] Using the Aqua Tcl/Tk theme by default on Mac OS

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Sep 23 11:01:59 CEST 2011

On Fri, 23 Sep 2011, Milan Bouchet-Valat wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> Title says most of my question. ;-) This is something I'm experiencing
> when using Rcmdr. For a probably good reason, it is run inside X11
> instead of being a native Mac application. I guess this is why Tk
> doesn't detect it would better use the Aqua Tile theme[1], which would
> look much better on Macs than the default Tk theme.
>
> I think even if R keeps using X11 for Tcl/Tk GUIs, it would be a nice
> enhancement to set the default theme to Aqua in tcltk mac packages. Do
> you think it's just a matter of changing a setting in packages?

That theme is only available in Mac builds of Tk, not X11 ones.  You
can build R for yourself to use Mac Tcl/Tk (I tend to use the
ActiveTcl distribution), and then the Mac theme is the default.  But
you will then need to use command-line R and not R.app (which is quite
sensible if you are using Rcmdr as your console).

(If you do build against Mac Tcl/Tk and run R.app, R.app and Tk fight
over the menu line.)