[R-SIG-Mac] Using the Aqua Tcl/Tk theme by default on Mac OS

Milan Bouchet-Valat nalimilan at club.fr
Fri Sep 23 11:07:34 CEST 2011

Le vendredi 23 septembre 2011 à 10:01 +0100, Prof Brian Ripley a écrit :
> That theme is only available in Mac builds of Tk, not X11 ones.
Ah, I see. Sad. :-/

> You can build R for yourself to use Mac Tcl/Tk (I tend to use the
> ActiveTcl distribution), and then the Mac theme is the default.  But
> you will then need to use command-line R and not R.app (which is quite
> sensible if you are using Rcmdr as your console).
Indeed, it would make sense, but care more about users than about my own
setup (I'm on Linux anyway), and building a custom R isn't really an
option there.

> (If you do build against Mac Tcl/Tk and run R.app, R.app and Tk fight
> over the menu line.)
Isn't that something that can be fixed? Maybe Tk shouldn't try to
control the menu bar if no Tk GUI is trying to create menus? I can file
a bug in their bug tracker if that would be a solution.

Thanks for your reply