[R-SIG-Mac] R editor for Mac

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Fri Mar 11 17:25:46 CET 2011

On Mar 10, 2011, at 5:09 PM, Simon Urbanek wrote:

> On Mar 10, 2011, at 4:50 PM, Dan Tenenbaum wrote:
>
>> Since someone recently mentioned RStudio to me, I thought I would
>> reactivate this thread in order to mention it:
>>
>> http://www.rstudio.org/
>>
>> Seems pretty cool if you want the full IDE experience.
>>

> Just a tiny, technical side-comment:  it uses a separate process for
> R which has serious technical implications (you can't use any GUIs,
> external UI libraries, or even native devices like Quartz for
> example - it leads to crashes).

Can you expand on that, Simon? Crashes when using Quartz would seem
like an immediate deal-breaker for Mac OS X users. Does that mean that
ordinary plotting calls would cause crashes?

I was assuming that users of RStudio would not be also using other
GUI's, but I do not know whether I am using "external UI libraries" in
my typical R activities using rms/Hmisc/survival. Is this in reference
to packages such as rgl that invoke libraries such as GTK? Are Rattle
or rggobi precluded as packages?

--
David.