[R-SIG-Mac] R editor for Mac

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Fri Mar 11 18:44:08 CET 2011

On Mar 11, 2011, at 11:25 AM, David Winsemius wrote:

> On Mar 10, 2011, at 5:09 PM, Simon Urbanek wrote:
>

>> On Mar 10, 2011, at 4:50 PM, Dan Tenenbaum wrote:
>>
>>> Since someone recently mentioned RStudio to me, I thought I would
>>> reactivate this thread in order to mention it:
>>>
>>> http://www.rstudio.org/
>>>
>>> Seems pretty cool if you want the full IDE experience.
>>>

>> Just a tiny, technical side-comment:  it uses a separate process for R which has serious technical implications (you can't use any GUIs, external UI libraries, or even native devices like Quartz for example - it leads to crashes).
>
> Can you expand on that, Simon? Crashes when using Quartz would seem like an immediate deal-breaker for Mac OS X users. Does that mean that ordinary plotting calls would cause crashes?

They don't use Quartz - they have their own re-implementation of Cairo which creates files which is what gets displayed in the GUI - the GUI doesn't actually use the R device directly. It's entirely different from what you get in regular R. Unfortunately it means you can't use Quartz which is already a deal-breaker for me.

> I was assuming that users of RStudio would not be also using other GUI's, but I do not know whether I am using "external UI libraries" in my typical R activities using rms/Hmisc/survival. Is this in reference to packages such as rgl that invoke libraries such as GTK? Are Rattle or rggobi precluded as packages?

In principle, yes (but I'd think that if you use Rattle it's pointless to have another GUI ;)). The actual interaction depends on the details inside their rsession part - so I can't comment on that and I didn't test the packages you mention. The bottom line is that all packages are run outside the GUI in an R embedding.

If I get a spare minute, I'm actually tempted to hack RStudio to remedy this design problem, because it would allow for example iPlots eXtreme to be used directly in the GUI which the current setup doesn't allow.